Contact Us

Have a Question?


Q: What does it cost to transfer a vehicle?

A: View the pages listed below:

For transferring within the state: 

For transferring out of state: 

Q: I’ve just moved to Kentucky what do I need to register my vehicle?

A: Title from the other state, proof of sales tax paid, Kentucky proof of insurance, and drive the vehicle so it can be inspected.

Q: How long do you have to register a vehicle after purchasing it?

A: You have 15 days by law to register a vehicle after the date of purchase.

Q: How much does it cost to transfer a vehicle from a family member?

A: If a parent, grandparent, child, husband, or wife gives you a vehicle registered in Kentucky you do not have to pay usage or sales tax.

Q: How much does it cost to record a deed?

A: $50.00 for the first five pages and $3.00 for each additional page plus $1.00 tax for each $1000.00 paid for the property.

Q: How do I get a handicap placard?

A:Come in and pick up a form and get your doctor to sign it.

Q: How can I get disabled hunting & fishing license?

A: Go to the social security office and pick up a TPQY form and mail it to Fishing and Wildlife in Frankfort. When you get your to card back from Fishing and Wildlife bring it to the Clerk’s office and you can purchase a license for $5.00.

Q: How do I apply for a marriage license?

A: Both individuals need a picture I.D. and a social security card. The fee is $50.00. 

Q: How can I register to vote?

A: Just come to the county clerk’s office in Pineville or Middlesboro and we will gladly register you to vote.

Q: What hours are the clerk’s offices open?

A: Monday – Friday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM. Closed on Saturdays and Sundays. 

Q: How do I become a Notary Public?

A: Notary public commissions are valid for four (4) years. The following requirements must be met:

– Applicant must be eighteen (18) years old or older

– Resident of LaRue County

– Good moral character

– Capable of discharging duties imposed by law

– Cannot be a convicted felon

Applicant must complete and application for Appointment to the Office of Notary Public Form. Form may be picked up in the County Clerk’s Office or can be downloaded from the Secretary of State website.

Application must be signed by the Judge Executive, County Clerk or Circuit Clerk, Justice of the Peace, or a member of the General Assembly of the county of residence of the applicant(s).

The completed application must be mailed to:

Kentucky Secretary of State
Notary Commissions
PO Box 821
Frankfort, KY 40602-0821

A $10.00 fee must accompany the application.

If approved, the applicant will be notified that a “Certificate of Appointment” has been sent to the applicant’s County Clerk. The applicant must come to the County Clerk’s Office to take the oath of office and post bond. The bond may be an insurance policy bond or a property owner can be the surety. The property owner must come to the clerk’s office and sign for the applicant.

The recording fee is $19.00.

Talk to us!

(270) 358-3544

[email protected]

Common Links

Kentucky Transportation Cabinet

501 High Street
Frankfort, KY 40622
(502) 564-5301 – Office
(502) 564-4809 – Fax

Kentucky Revenue Cabinet
200 Fair Oaks Lane
Frankfort, KY 40620
(502) 564-4540 – Office
(502) 564-2132 – Fax

Kentucky State Board of Elections

Frankfort, KY 40601
(502) 573-7100 – Office
(502) 573-4369 – Fax

Secretary of State
700 Capitol Avenue Suite 152
Frankfort, KY 40601
(502) 564-3490 – Office
(502) 564-5687 – Fax

Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives
300 Coffee Tree Road
P.O. Box 537
Frankfort, KY 40601
(502) 564-8300 – Office

Commonwealth Office for Technology
101 Cold Harbor Drive
Frankfort, KY 40601
(502) 564-7680 – Office
(502) 564-7680 – TTY/TTD
(502) 564-2438 – Fax

Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife
1 Game Farm Road
Frankfort, KY 40601
(800) 858-1549 – Office

Kentucky Vehicle Information
501 High Street
Frankfort, KY 40622
(502) 564-5301 – Office
(502) 564-4809 – Fax

Cabinet for Health & Family Services – Office of Vital Statistics
275 East Main Street 1E-A
Frankfort, KY 40621
(502) 564-4212

Skip to content